Pomp & Circumstance

~A non-iPhone photo~

MIA again, I know, but this time for a good reason: I graduated! Four years, nine part-time jobs, one study abroad, and 130+ credits later, I’ve proudly earned bachelor’s degrees in finance and marketing. I am officially an alumna of the University of Delaware, and it still hasn’t quite sunk in.


When I paid my deposit a little over four years ago, I had no idea what I was getting into. I chose to attend UD primarily due to the fact that it provided the best offer financially. My parents both worked extremely hard to put themselves through school, and by attending UD, I realized I could get the “full” college experience without acquiring an unreasonable amount of debt. UD lacked the fast-paced, city locale and diversity I was looking for, but otherwise, I figured I could be successful here. Today, I cannot imagine spending my undergraduate years anywhere else.

It wasn’t until my sophomore year I truly began to take advantage of all that my school had to offer. I joined a business fraternity, I got involved with the admissions office, I started a part-time job, and I applied for study abroad – all steps that helped to shape my college experience. Getting involved really helped me find my place at university. I became more confident, I met more people, and I felt like I was a part of something greater than myself. Delaware became more than just a place to learn and have fun – it became my home.

I’ll miss sunny afternoons spent sipping $3 pints on the porch at Grottos. I’ll miss seeing the cherry blossoms bloom by Memorial Hall each spring. I’ll miss trying to sneak sandwiches into the library computer lab, in anticipation for long nights with my bestie Microsoft Excel. I’ll miss spontaneous adventures with friends, whether it’s driving to PA to go cliff jumping or 2AM excursions for dollar pizza slices. I'll miss being able to see a familiar face no matter where I go on campus, and the sense of community that exists even among over 17,000 undergrads.

Although I'll miss Delaware, my time here provided some important takeaways: to always work hard, to never settle, and to create your own opportunities. It wasn't always easy, but UD provided the perfect space for me to grow as a person and I've truly appreciated my experience. It's sad to leave school and my friends, but even as we all go our separate ways, I am excited to see what we accomplish. Despite graduation concluding my undergrad experience (and my disdain for endings), I know that my life is just beginning. I am forever thankful towards my family for helping me accomplish this milestone, and I look forward to what lies ahead.

xA

No comments

Back to Top