Eastern Market


Artist's stand at Eastern Market

My first winter in DC has turned out to be relatively mild, and we've been graced with a handful of 60+ degree days. I chose to use one of those days to venture beyond my usual stomping grounds and check out Eastern Market.




Eastern Market is a community indoor and outdoor market that is located in the heart of Capitol Hill. It is a few blocks from the Eastern Market metro station (Blue/Orange/Silver), and is home to a variety of vendors selling everything from art and jewelry to poultry and pastries. The flea market operates outdoors along 7th St SE, which leads to the market hall.

Entering the halls

Inside the South Hall

Indoors, there is the Market Lunch eatery, along with places to buy meats, produce, baked goods, and more. I wasn't too hungry while I was there, but I can never turn down a sweet treat. I stopped at the bakery at the far end of the hall and purchases some chocolate rugelach and a black and white cookie. Both were phenomenal and I would definitely make the trip out for some of their sweets again.

Cake cake cake cake cake at Eastern Market

There are also a variety of other shops and restaurants on the blocks surrounding the market. Despite the crowds, it does not take very long to go through the flea market and indoor markets (unless you are doing some major shopping). I popped into Clothes Encounters-Second Kind, a second-hand store across the street from the market. I found a lot of the selections to be a bit dated for my tastes, but if you're very motivated there is potential for some nice vintage finds.

Clothes Encounters

Shops on 7th St SE

Forever a tourist

I had a nice time wandering around Eastern Market, and next time I will definitely bring a bigger appetite. I definitely recommend stopping by if you're ever in the Capitol Hill area with a free hour or empty stomach.

2 comments

  1. This market looks awesome and that cookie tools tasty. Let's go here when I come to visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This market looks awesome and that cookie tools tasty. Let's go here when I come to visit. :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top