Days 1 & 2: London

Colorful houses in Notting Hill
Last week I arrived in London, and it’s been a whirlwind of sightseeing and limited wi-fi ever since.

Upon dropping our bags off at the hostel, we decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and do some exploring in the neighborhood. We walked up Portobello Road taking in the sunshine and colorful houses. We spotted Louis Tomlinson’s ex-GF taking a cig break with her dog so mini-celeb sighting. After grabbing some Nando’s, we headed back to Ealing (where I lived my semester abroad). It was surreal to walk through the streets that I called my home for four months. I’m a cheese so naturally I made J head up the hill to the flats where I stayed to get a picture but I didn’t even cry so that’s good.


Too creepy or just creepy enough?
Later on, we went out to O’Neill’s in Soho. The crowd was mostly post-happy hour professionals, but we met some interesting people and the live band was l i v e l y. We were craving Chinese food after the bar so it was convenient we were in Chinatown; however, I asked for “shrimp lo mein” and the guy responded with “English, please?” We then tried for General Tso’s and it seemed we were in luck… but we received this flavorless, partially uncooked chicken on a bed of rice – more like General Sads, amirite?

Day 2 kicked off in East London with a street art tour through Alternative London. Our guide was a guy called Ben, and he did a fantastic job incorporating history and current events with their significance in street art. For example, this piece by stick highlights the “old-meets-new” that’s been occurring on Brick Lane – how half of the street has maintained its Bengali beginnings while the other half has transformed into a young, urban, hipster playground. It was also eye-opening to see how gentrification is impacting not just the area but all of London.

Stik's work on Princelet Street



A Clet Abraham on Brick Lane
Following the tour, we made our way to Borough Market, which is a personal favorite of mine. I love how you can eat your way through the market with less than £10 in your pocket. I committed to chicken dumplings (amazing) and a spinach and feta Borek (also good). Afterwards, we visited Tate Modern, crossed Millennium bridge, and got some ice cream at Covent Garden. We ended day two with a night out at DSTRKT – it was a questionable night but fun nonetheless.



View from Millennium bridge

St. Paul's via Ludgate Hill



So far, London has been great weather and great fun. I hope it keeps up this way!

No comments

Back to Top