Day 3: Royal Ascot


On Saturday, we had the opportunity to attend the Royal Ascot. The Royal Ascot is the Queen’s annual horse race held in June, and people dress up in top hats and fascinators for five exciting days of racing.



The morning started off rough – we woke up two hours later than anticipated, the weather was abysmal, and a series of unfortunate events (e.g. blowing out the electricity in my room) plagued us while getting ready to get to Ascot. After a brutal train ride up to Ascot, we met up with my friend’s family, who were hosting a picnic prior to the races. It was interesting to compare a British picnic to what we Americans would have at a barbecue, however quiche, quail eggs, and champagne were delicious alternatives to hot dogs and hamburgers.
We then headed to the race course, where we viewed the race in the Royal Enclosure. I knew nothing about racing, but our friends kindly explained the ins and outs so we had an idea of how to follow the races. Here are a few highlights of the day:

 - Me accidentally hitting Hugh Bonneville (Downton Abbey) in the head with my umbrella, him apologizing, and me saying “That’s okay”…. And then realizing I hit a famous person in the head with my umbrella


- Our horse winning the second race and getting to watch the awards in the parade ring

- Unintentionally video-bombing my friend’s father as he was being interviewed on national television


- Me betting on a horse and losing (I. Never. Win. Anything.)

- Getting invited to a box to watch the last few faces... that was conveniently located one over from the Queen’s box


- Being a few feet away from the Queen as she presented awards


- Walking back to the train in torrential downpour and spending 90 minutes soaking wet on the train

Overall, attending the Royal Ascot was an incredible experience and I am so happy I went. I now know a bit about racing and can say I hit a celebrity in the face with my umbrella! How’s that for a fun fact?

No comments

Back to Top