Days 4 & 5: London


It’s amazing how a place can become a part of you, and even after being away, you return and it is as if no time was ever lost. That’s how I feel about London – even after years away, I can breeze through multiple lines on the Underground like it’s my job.
Our last few days in London were spent doing a mix of touristy and non-touristy things as our time in the city came to an end.

We grabbed brunch at Tom’s Kitchen in Chelsea. The menu is reasonable priced, and despite being initially underwhelmed at its size, my Brioche French Toast was delicious and quite filling. I also had plate envy over L’s Eggs Florentine, and if I had room in my stomach, I would’ve had that as well.


We rented Santander cycles and rode through Hyde Park, one of my favorite things to do. There was a lot going on so the park was packed with people, but we managed to have a nice ride and didn’t hit anyone so that’s always a win in my book.


We ventured to Camden Town, a must-see in my book due to its lively and eclectic nature. Some people argue that Camden is becoming a bit more mainstream, but I think it highlights a lot of what London has to offer. The markets at Camden are great for finding souvenirs, and you can find pretty much every type of food imaginable. Also, no visit to the markets is complete without a trip to Cyberdog – all three floors.




We embarked on a late-night kebab hunt, as anyone visiting London should do at least once… but maybe minus the “late-night” part. It began as a joke of looking for the best kebabs in London and next thing you know, J and I are taking two buses to some place in Fulham at 11pm. Despite slight troubles getting the bus home, we ended with delicious Turkish food, excessive leftovers, and a trip to the bathroom (n o  r a g r e t s).


We visited Saatchi Gallerywhich is one of my favorite art galleries. The gallery is located in Chelsea and offers such a diverse mix of contemporary works. I’m by no means an art buff but I find Saatchi Gallery to be exciting as you never know what will be around the corner. The current exhibition featured works from Latin America and Africa, and I was most looking forward to seeing Rafael Gómezbarros’ “Casa Tomada”, which is an installation of a cluster of massive ants. The verdict: it is as creepy in person as it appeared online, and L refused to even enter the room.

Alida Cervantes

Boris Nzebo

Rafael Gomezbarros
Last but not least, we did the London Eye. I’ve gone on the Eye before, but I wanted J to experience it so I got us tickets as a birthday gift for her. Despite the day’s rainy beginnings, we really lucked out in terms of weather and got some great shots. Although it is a bit pricey, I think everyone should do the Eye once, especially towards the end of your time in London. It’s a great way to see the places you’ve been and tie the city together. It’s also a bonus if you have a live and intelligent British friend along with you, who can identify almost any building as well as a short background of its significance to the city (thanks Seb!).








x A

No comments

Back to Top