7 Essential Pre-Departure Tips


I’ve spent the past week running around, trying to get everything in order for my trip. This is a real upgrade from my last international trip (when I was running to AAA and the pharmacy the day of my flight)… live and learn! Traveling can be stressful, but it doesn’t have to be. Here are some of my top pre-departure tips for international travel.



Share your itinerary – Whether you are traveling with friends or flying solo, it is always a good idea to make sure someone at home knows your plans. I make a Google Doc with my flights, transport, and accommodations, and share it with my family. This way, they know where I’ll be in case they need to get in touch and can’t reach me. It is also useful for me as I can quickly access all of my travel information in one place.

Keep copies – When planning a multi-city trip, it can be hectic keeping track of all your boarding passes and train tickets. I always print two copies of each ticket/receipt/booking – one to take with me, and one to keep at home with a family member. In addition, I have a folder in my email with all of my confirmations. The same goes for important travel documents (e.g. passport!!). That way, if something happens and I lose my stuff, either my parents can send it to me or I can access it on my own.

Check the rules – Every airline has different policies, so it is crucial to make sure you are prepared for each. Some airlines (easyJet) allow you to check-in a month in advance; for some, it’s only 24 hours (British Airways). This is especially important for budget airlines such as easyJet and Ryanair, as they can charge you exorbitant fees for having a large carry-on, or forgetting to print your boarding pass in advance.

Call your bank – Banks are more cautious than ever, and it is likely that if you spontaneously land in Prague and try swiping your card, it will be declined. These security measures may seem inconvenient, but you can avoid the hassle by calling your bank before you leave, and letting them know the dates you’ll be away as well as the places you are traveling to.

Change currency – Piggybacking off the previous tip, in case you do arrive to your destination and your card is declined, it is beneficial to have the local currency on hand. You should be able to purchase currency at most banks as well as AAA. My only strong advice is to not change a large sum of currency, as you will most likely not get the exchange rates at home. My personal strategy is to purchase enough to hold me over when I land, and then use ATMs to withdraw money. Even if you incur a 3% fee, you will still get the going currency rate which is a much better deal, in my opinion.

Be prepared for emergencies – In this day and age, crazy things can happen anywhere. If you are a US citizen traveling abroad, you should enroll in the STEP program, which allows you to log your trip in order to receive essential information about safety threats at your destination. It is also good to know the location of local embassies or consulates (where you would go if your passport was stolen). Additionally, I always try to learn a few saying in the local language which I think is extremely important if you have food allergies or any special conditions that could lead to a medical emergency.

Get apps – There is app for almost everything, which is so useful when traveling. For example, I use WhatsApp and Viber in lieu of an international phone plan. They both require wi-fi (which isn’t hard to find in most major cities), and the person you want to contact must have it as well. Google Maps is another staple. The great thing about Google Maps is that you can see your location even if you are not connected to wi-fi or data, an extremely useful feature for if you happen to get lost.

What’s on your pre-departure checklist?

xA

No comments

Back to Top