Green Eggs & Bacon



There is an upside to a stay-at-home spring break: no bikinis and nothing to stop me from treating my taste buds. Today, I ventured downtown to finally try Green Eggs Café.


This place has been on my radar since their Kandykake French toast appeared on my Instagram “Explore” feed many months ago. Although my lunch date cancelled at the last minute (and I’m not the most comfortable dining solo at sit-down establishments), I was too close to ignore the opportunity.




I went to the Green Eggs at 13th and Locust around lunch time, and although it was packed, the wait was not long. The restaurant is a simplistic, cafeteria style place that seats about 40 or 50. Though I’d studied the menu many times before, everything was so appealing and I was torn between ordering breakfast or lunch. The hostess gave their famous red velvet pancakes and all of their burgers her seal of approval, but I ultimately went for the Apple Pie French Toast with a side of bacon.

I always have anxiety about diner’s remorse (you know, when you see someone else order the option you didn't and it looks sooo much better), but Green Eggs did not disappoint. My bacon was cooked to perfection, not too crispy and not too soft. And the French toast was amazing—it smelled so good that I only snapped two quick pictures (fork in hand) and hoped for the best. It was actually the perfect balance: the cinnamon apples were firm and not too sweet, the challah French toast was thick and fluffy, and the cinnamon crumbles lining the plate were a nice touch. The awesome food and pleasant service made Green Eggs a hit for me, and I cannot wait to go back for those red velvet pancakes.

 x A

No comments

Back to Top