Something Old, Something New


I know I am long overdue for a blog update, but I’ve been patiently waiting for the right moment. So much has happened in the last three months, but I am finally getting truly settled into my life in DC and the world of adulthood. Though I’ve technically lived in DC for two-and-a-half months, I’ve yet do any real exploring. It was easy to fall into a routine of frequenting my favorite tried and true places, but DC has so much more to offer beyond the confines of my neighborhood (which I love, by the way).


After spending Saturday as the laziest person on earth, I decided to choose a random point of interest to get me out of the house check out. I like art and Google led me to Renwick Gallery, which just reopened after a two-year renovation. The Renwick Gallery just recently began showing WONDER, which is an exhibition featuring installations by various contemporary artists. I arrived Sunday afternoon to lines filing in and out of the museum. The gallery was packed with people, but each piece was displayed in its own room so it wasn’t hard to view them. All in all, I found the exhibit was pretty amazing. There’s nine different works, and each features the use of ordinary objects to make extraordinary pieces of works.


It was all very unpretentious and cool. My favorite piece was this rainbow thread (Plexus A1) creation by Mexican artist Gabriel Dawe. The installation is composed of many different threads, and as you walk around, the colors seem to change, creating a multidimensional effect. I think I walked around at least three times in awe. I also enjoyed Leo Villareal’s Volume, which was created using computer code that controls the light sequencing. I’ve had to learn a bit of coding for work recently, and it was uplifting to see the beauty that could be derived from the scripts and rules that gave me troubles on a daily basis :). The exhibition runs through next July, and is definitely worth checking out if you are by the White House.

Gabriel Dawe

John Grade


Leo Villareal


Jennifer Angus (real bugs, by the way...)
After the gallery, I spontaneously decided this would be the perfect time to finally try Buredo (sushi burrito hotspot), but sadly it’s closed on Sundays. I did a little shopping and then headed home, but was still in the mood for something quick and yummy. Growing up outside of Philly, hoagies reign as the supreme cold sandwich, and there was always a Wawa nearby to grab one. Although there aren’t any Wawas in DC, there are plenty of places to grab a sandwich. So’s Your Mom is small, deli/mini-mart that was on my way home, so I decided to pop in and grab something for the road. I’ve been there once before after hearing they served bacon-egg-and-cheese breakfast sandwiches (a different story for a different day), and was generally underwhelmed after my first experience. However, I believe in second chances, so this time I went with a turkey avocado sandwich on wheat.



I ordered my sandwich with lettuce/tomato/mayo, and overall I thought it was really good, albeit pricey. I’m big on ratios, and although my mediocre iPhone picture doesn’t do it justice, there was a good amount of turkey and avocado on my sandwich. So’s Your Mom definitely redeemed themselves in my eyes (and stomach), and I’ll definitely be back again. Overall, I’m glad to report I made it out of the house this weekend, and am looking forward to doing some more exploring when my friend visits next weekend!

No comments

Back to Top