Things We Ate: Barcelona

Fruity goodness at La Boqueria
We didn’t come to Barcelona with a food agenda, and again, I am by no means a food critic. For whatever reason, once I started writing this post, I kept coming back to the topic of food so this is just a conglomeration of some of our hits and misses at the table.

Mercat de la Boqueria
Mercat de Sant Josep de la Boqueria is a huge food market off of La Rambla, which I referenced on my last post. It’s a popular attraction for tourists and locals alike for good reason: it’s packed with fresh produce, seafood, spices, and other delectable goodies. We were lucky to have it so close to our accommodations, so it was a natural first stop after we settled in. The best part is that it’s all fairly inexpensive (or maybe we were just happy to be using the Euro and not the pound). It is definitely worth a wander if you’re in the vicinity and looking for a quick bite.



Vicino Pizza Bar
I LOVE pizza. Love, love, love it. So, whenever I travel somewhere, I either try to find a highly-recommended pizza spot, or end up stumbling across a late-night spot after a night out (my true gift in life… kidding). Jokes aside, I came across Vicino in my pre-trip research, and since it was by la Barceloneta, J and I popped in for lunch one afternoon. There were a good amount of people sitting outside, but we opted to sit inside. The menu isn’t extensive, and J ordered an Inferno, while I went on a whim and chose La Madonna. This was pretty random for me as I’m typically a Margherita kind-of-girl, but I guess I saw vegetables and thought, “wow, haven’t had those in a while”. So my pizza was basically pizza, loaded with vegetables. The pizza is cooked in a wood-fired oven, and came out en fuego (see what I did there?).



Overall, I liked my pizza—it was hot, the crust had good flavor, and the mozzarella was yummy—but I couldn’t love it. The reasons for this are that (1) there were just too many vegetables and they weighed down the base, making it watery and (2) the cheese was good so I would’ve liked more of it. I’m going to chalk it up to the pie I got though, because I passed a man on my way out who had the same thing with a better topping-to-pie ratio. J really enjoyed hers, and if I had the chance, I’d go back and give it another shot.

Paella near Plaça Reial
One of the things I most looked forward to in Barcelona (after Park Guell and men who resemble Gerard Pique) was paella. Paella is a dish hailing from Valencia, containing rice and traditionally chicken, rabbit, beans, vegetables, and seasonings (particularly saffron, which gives it the yellow coloring). Seeing as it’s such a popular dish, we figured we could go wrong with getting it on a whim. Plaça Reial is lined with restaurants rich in outdoor seating, and since most of them are packed all day, we picked a random one and grabbed menus. We requested a pitcher of sangria, and a chicken and seafood paella to share (as it comes out in the large pan and from what we’d seen, it’d be more than enough to share). Our waited insisted we could not get one, we had to order individual paellas but he could have them combined into one pan (okay…). In retrospect, that was probably the red flag to lower our expectations for this paella, mainly because the highlight of the dish is the socarrat, or crusted rice that forms at the bottom of the pan from cooking.



 After what seemed like eons, our paella arrived, and it was nothing to write home about. The seafood and chicken was good, but the rice itself was too watery, which ruined the overall flavor of the dish. Would definitely not recommend, but glad I got to have paella at least once while in Spain.

gelaaati! Di Marco
We happened across this spot one hungover morning while in pursuit for substantial food. Their eye-catching dessert photography made an impression so we came back after our meal. I had my eye on their one creation which was basically a warm, brioche bun with your choice of gelato inside. It was definitely an interesting concept, but we all got one and agreed it did not disappoint. In fact, the gelato was so good, we came back the rest of the days were in Barcelona (the third time we walked in, the guy at the counter just laughed). Would highly recommend! 


No comments

Back to Top